Auckland Park, Auckland Castle Deer Park, Bishop Auckland, DL14 7QJ – Visit Now
Next to Bishop Auckland is the refurbished Auckland project which is now internationally famous for Kynren and the Spanish Gallery, but also has a grand and pleasant park attached to the Castle. Once the private Deer Park of the Bishop of Durham and his retainers, Auckland Park is a wonderful addition to the Auckland project and Auckland Castle. From wildflower meadows to winding woodland parks, all of the land has been designed to add wild beauty to the castle grounds. It was first recorded in writing in 1181, but likely existed before this period. The park covers a hundred and fifty acres of land with some amazing medieval features such as fishponds and woodland paths that would aid the bishops in their hunts of both deer and wild cattle which roamed the land nearby. The Deer House is an 18th century addition to the park allowing for the bishop and his friends to watch and feed the deer or picnic next to them – providing entertainment alongside this grand structure.