The Lyceum Theatre in Sheffield was designed by the illustrious theatre architect W G R Sprague and is the only surviving performance space outside of London to be able to make this claim. The traditional proscenium arch design and 1068 seater auditorium host a variety of regular arts and cultural events. The Lyceum regularly programmes locally produced shows as well as the touring West End spectaculars.
The Lyceum opened in 1897 with a production of Bizet’s Carmen by the Carla Rosa Opera Company. Just two years later, there was a serious fire at the theatre. The theatre was restored and went on to be one of Sheffield’s major theatres until 1968 when it was converted into a bingo hall. However, bingo never really took off at the venue and the building was at threat of demolition just a few years later. The Lyceum remained dark for several years before the theatre reopened once again in 1990, following a period of extensive renovation.